Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Boys with Brushes

Today's Thankful Thursday has no cute quote reminding us that we should show gratitude or try to be better human beings....it's simply one single thing that happened today that deserves recognition and praise.

As I was sitting on the sofa this afternoon, somewhere between my crazy caffeine buzz wearing off and talking myself into a shower, I was confronted by the boy. With a brush.  Raised up over his head. Honestly my knee jerk reaction was to protect my face (since every object in our house has become some sort of ninja weapon lately).  But much to my surprise, there was no "HIIIII YA!" or black eye (and yes...I actually flinched), rather there was a sweet little voice asking if he could brush my hair.

I quickly agreed and sat down on the floor under his little feet that dangled off the side of the couch.  At first, I anxiously anticipated every stroke, expecting a smack or a snag to really rattle me.  Then once I realized that he genuinely just wanted to brush my hair, I started to ponder.... why?  All I could come up with was this: he was embarrassed by what the fuck ever was happening on my head....did I mention that it was before my shower, around 1pm....use your imagination! ha!

After a while I was able to just sit.  I wasn't scared he was going to hurt me, and I had come to grips with the fact that he was going to judge me for the rest of my life.  So I let it all go and just enjoyed it.  Each sweet, sensitive stroke of the brush relaxed me just a little more.  It brought me back to a time when I used to bribe my little sisters for back rubs....there is just something about those tiny people hands!

My grooming session only lasted for about 10 minutes.  But I was thankful for every millisecond of it! And I will make sure that it happens again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...