Saturday, April 27, 2013

Joys of Parenting

Take Your Moment


Some days, you just have to take a moment....
straight "thinking man" style.
Parenting an almost 4 year old boy is tough.
Especially when he's a strong willed,
stubborn assed, shit talkin' little monkey.

Today,
the boy got kicked out of swim lessons.
It's still unclear if that meant for the day or for forever.
Either way I am certain that we are not going back.

I won't go into all the nitty gritty details,
the point was this....
My son was dismissed from the lesson.
He threw the temper tantrum of all tantrums.
I freaked out.

I dragged him to the car kicking and screaming....
he was the one doing the kicking.
He kicked.
I screamed.
He kicked.
I screamed.

Once we were all seat belted into opposite corners of the car.
The grown up in me kicked in,
and realized that unless we took a moment, we were getting no where.

I insisted that we have a serious 
time out.
We both closed our eyes.
Then took a series of deep breaths and squeezed on some pressure points.

Once we both calmed down it completely dawned on me.
My child was not in the wrong.
He interpreted her instructions a certain way based on the criticism 
that she had given to the other students in his lesson.
She was the one who really freaked out by yanking him out of the pool.

Like I said, I am not going to go into all of it.
The moral is that grown ups need time outs too.
Our heads can get so clouded with all the chaos that 
sometimes we neglect to see the obvious situation.

So from that point on today,
I have been remembering to stop.
Take some time for just me.
Clear my head.
Re-acess the situation.
Take some really deep inhales
and some really really big exhales.
Get rid of that nasty energy,
and move on.


So, moms and dads of like minded 4 year olds,
 take your moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...