Tuesday, February 18, 2014

the USS Alabama


Thanks to the app Road Trippers,
we were able to snag this great stop early on 
in our second day of driving.

We left out of Pensacola early in the morning and 
we were at the USS Alabama in no time.


I have been on my fair share of Military ship tours,
I have been fortunate enough to have that as a close part of my childhood and life.
But never have I seen the awe on a little boys face when he sets eyes 
on a battleship of this magnitude, never before this that is.


Exploring the ship like a 4 year old put it all in a completely 
different perspective.
Both the boys really enjoyed this one, and we could have 
spent the entire day checking out every nook and cranny of this place.


As an adult and photographer I found so much interest in all of the details on the ship.
I can't tell you how many pictures I took of tubes and pipes and wires.
There is something so ironically beautiful to me in all of the industrial utilitarian components.


This trip cost the three of us about $30,
but the cost of admission was totally worth if for the hour
of exploration and fine dose of history.


And the boy will always 
remember where he got his super sweet 
F-16 toy now.


the USS Alabama is located at:

2703 Battleship Pkwy
 Mobile, AL 36603




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...